Monday, November 26, 2012

Crescent Roll Jalapeno Poppers

I find it frustrating that the coupons for Pillsbury products always require you to buy two or three cans.

But as frustrated as I am, I still do it because I have the coupon. I do, however, try to line up up a few meals in a row that can use them.

Or in this case, an appetizer or two.

I decided to make these Crescent Roll Jalapeno Poppers. I was hoping my dad would still have some jalapenos at his shop, but he did not, so I did have to buy that. I had baked the bacon the day before so all I had to do was assemble and bake.



I followed the directions. I kinda wish I owned a pizza cutter because it was difficult to cut the raw rolls in half with a regular knife. Maybe next time I should flower it?

Either way, I used a butter knife to put portions of cream cheese on the dough, stuck on the bacon, places on the jalapeno slice, and wrapped up as best I could.

Then I baked them.

My friend Amy was the first to try them once they came out of the oven. She said they needed a sweet sauce, like you get with poppers at Arby's. I asked her how she felt about strawberry jam. I then pointed to where the strawberry jam was. (Not in the fridge, but in the pantry, with the other unopened condiments.)

Evidently the jam made them a hit.

(And I seem to have lost the photo of my own...they looked unimpressive.)

But I think there was room for improvement.

First, although I'm not usually a fan of overly stuffed anything, the cheese to dough ratio was off. I needed to put in more cream cheese, which I will next time.

Additionally, I want to try the pickled jalapenos from a jar instead of fresh. Sure, fresh are better for you, but I think the pickled ones have a better bite.

Lastly, I liked the crunch of the bacon, but I didn't think it was necessary.

I'm definitely glad to know this recipe now. I will use it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment