Sunday, June 17, 2012

S'more Pizza


I don’t get all the recipes I want to try from Pinterest, although I know it seems like I do. I own some actual cookbooks, too.
My cookbook collection. I try to keep it in check.
One I got recently (I think I actually  bought it for myself, which I rarely do), is Guy Fieri’s cookbook. I had his Diners Drive-ins, and Dives book, but there were very few actual, viable recipes in it. I think that one went to Vietnam Vets or my consignment shop...
Either way, I broke out the Guy Fieri cookbook one night after dinner while my friends were still there. I got a special request for his S’more Pizza, so I started collecting the ingredients.



And then finally broke down and made it recently.
Now, I didn’t need two pizzas, so I cut the recipe in half. I use Pillsbury pizza crust because I had – wait for it – a coupon. I guarantee that surprised no body.



I asked one friend to bring over her pizza stone for me to make the pizza on. I knew this wasn’t getting made a head of time since I would want to serve it hot, so it wouldn’t matter if I didn’t have the pizza stone in hand until we sat down for dinner.
I dusted the pizza stone with flour as the recipe called. I did not use any corn meal. I opened the can of pizza dough and was confused because it seemed to be cut. Who would perforate a pizza dough? I know you have to do that for the crescent rolls, but pizza?

Turned out, actually, that opening the can had ripped the dough.
So I balled the whole thing up and started over.



I tried to spread it as thin as I could on the stone, but I fear it was not thin enough. The dough was just so elastic-y, it was hard to spread out. And I don’t own a rolling pin, so I was just using my hands.

I had prepped the graham cracker crumble and toasted the almonds before dinner to help with the timing.


Then I just followed the directions. 


The problem was this: His measurements aren't exact. I mean, he wants you to use a whole sleeve of graham crackers turned into crumbs for the graham cracker mixture. I used a half a sleeve and had WAY too much. I didn't use all I had made. The friend who brought the pizza stone actually took the leftover mixture home for a snack. I thought it was too spicy to eat on its own.


And he says to use one chocolate bar for each pizza, but doesn't say how many ounces that bar should be! I had a coupon for Dove chocolate bars, so I bought the two of them the coupon required. I got milk chocolate because I couldn't find dark chocolate. Although I prefer milk to dark chocolate anyway. And then I used both bars on the one pizza because just one didn't seem like nearly enough.


The dessert pizza.
 Now, the pizza turned out pretty well. We definitely ate the whole thing. Problem was, the Pillsbury dough (and I do blame the dough, mostly) poofed up way too much in the middle. It made it difficult to put on all the toppings well. 


I might need to buy a rolling pin to help flatten the next dough out.

No comments:

Post a Comment