Monday, June 25, 2012

Trix "Krispies"

I'm kind of a nut about coupons.

I'm by no means an "extreme couponer," but I like a deal. Like just the other day, I went to the grocery store to buy milk, decided to check on a couple of coupons, and walked out with smoked sausage for $2 instead of $5.

Ask my friends, I'll frequently say, "I have a coupon for that!" And then I'll get it out of my purse because that's where I keep my envelope of coupons.

Lately, I've been keeping an eye out for coupons that would go with recipes I want to try.

Like Trix "Krispies".
I mean, really. Who wouldn't want to eat a rainbow?
I knew the recipe was on my Pinterest board. And then I found a coupon for $1 off a box of Trix. I didn't have to buy multiple boxes (like is usually true with cereal coupons) and it didn't stipulate how big the box needed to be.

I totally bought the smallest box I could find. And it turns out it would have been just the right amount, if I had followed the recipe precisely.

Now, I've never made Rice Krispie treats. Mom never liked them, we never had them in my house when I was little, and the only other time I tried to make something like this was in grad school, with Honey Nut Cheerios, and that turned out to be a mess. I even melted a spatula.

So I decided to give this recipe the ole college try. I followed the directions pretty closely. Until it came to the amount of Trix.

I decided that the amount of butter and marshmellow couldn't possibly be right since the recipe for Rice Krispie treats (on the mini-marshmellow package) called for twice as much better to half as much cereal. So I decided to just pour in 5 cups of Trix to see how it looked, and then go from there.

I decided to add another two cups, and that's where I quit. There just didn't seem to be enough moisture for the other three cups. And my bowl was full.

I sprayed the pan and pressed in the Trix Krispies. I cut them before taking them to the party, but I didn't try them until I got there.


You can see I really was supposed to add those last three cups since hers are so much thicker than mine.
I think everyone at the get together tried one. No one raved, because there was nothing to rave about. They are totally edible, and taste just like childhood. But they don't take on the wonderful chewy texture of Rice Krispie Treats. It probably has something to do with the ability of the cereal to absorb the butter. But I didn't think this treat was stellar enough to try to improve.

Also, they did not keep at all. I put the left over ones in plastic bags to take to work for lunch and they were pretty much bricks.

3 comments:

  1. This made me howl with laughter. I think most people freak out at the amounts but I really do test the recipes well before putting them up. Each cereal seems to need adjustment. Sucks they weren't raved about. Lol! I love your honesty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, heck! I comment from someone I've never met! Awesomeness.

    I don't remember if I like Trix as a kid, so it could be that I wasn't the biggest fan because I don't like the cereal that much. But it was just so pretty, I couldn't help it.

    Have you ever made it with Coco Puffs? Because I know I loved *that* cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I've ever actually eaten Trix but what a shame they weren't delicious because they are so pretty! They are a party all to themselves.

    ReplyDelete