Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Easy Lemon Sugar Snaps

I like any recipe that has the word "easy" in the title.

So of course I wanted to try this recipe.

I doens't hurt that it's a lemon cookie. I really do love all lemon desserts. Or, rather, I have yet to find one I dislike.

Pretty!
Although, this one may be a contender, unfortunately.

So, I started this cookie excursion as I start most of my kitchen excursions: with a trip to the grocery store. I needed the cake mix and corn meal.

I started with the cake mix. I figured that would be easier. There were only two options for lemon cake. However, I didn't see "with pudding in the mix" on either. So I couldn't decide if I wanted the one that claimed to be moist or that one that was cheaper.

Then I actually picked the boxes up. "With pudding in the mix" was in small print in the lower corner on just one of the boxes.

That's the one I went with.

Then I needed to figure out what the deal was with corn meal. Have you any notion of how many different options there are? It's crazy. Do I want white or yellow? Meal or mix? There might have been a bleached option. All of them seemed to be "degerminated" and I don't even know what that means, so the word made me nervous.

I picked a brand I new, and a container that easily resealed.

Then I went home and made cookies.

I followed the directions exactly, except for measure the lemon zest. Because who measures fresh zest? That seem unnecessary.

I used my small cookie scoop to make perfect dough balls, then rolled them around in regular sugar.

I baked them as directed and did move them from the baking sheet to the cooling rack to finish cooling off.

Of course, I had to try one before they were actually done cooling.

Mine.
And I didn't care for it.

It wasn't the flavor, by any stretch. I really enjoyed the flavor.

I just couldn't stand the texture.

Seriously, that corn meal killed it for me. Sure, it might not have helped that the cookie was a thick ball of dough, and maybe next time I need to squish it down a little, but I would not get past the grittiness of the corn meal.

I warned my friends and co-workers of the texture before any of them ate the cookies. No one else had the issue I had. Which verifies, to me, that it was just me, and I can totally make these cookies again, as long as I'm aware I won't be eating any.

No comments:

Post a Comment