Saturday, March 10, 2012

Apple Cheedar Frittata

Before this recipe, I had no real idea what a frittata was.

I figured it was similar to a quiche. A friend said it was kind of like an open-face omlette. Perhaps an egg pie? No, that would insinuate a crust, which this has not.

Why did I decide to make something I had no idea about?


Because it sounded good, obviously.


So I looked into frittatas.


Turns out they are more like an omlette. A quiche does have a crust (ahem, egg pie, ahem), which I didn't remember/realize. You can tell how many quiches I've eaten. These should not me confused with a strata, which has bread. So it appears frittatas are low-carb, if nothing else.


It also appears that I don't own a cast iron skillet.


I could have sworn I bought one at a rummage or estate sale last year, but it is no where to be found.


So I borrowed my mom's.

What it should look like.
I followed this recipe exactly as it read, until it came to the cheese. I had some pre-grated cheese in the fridge, a combination of white cheddar and sharp cheddar. I dumped the last of the white cheddar into a measuring cup that had both cups and ounces listed. And then I looked at how much 4 ounces was.


That was a surprisingly small amount of cheese.


Seriously.


And the recipe called for half in and half on top?


Nah, I put about 5 ounces in the egg mixture and them sprinkled some on top after I had put in the apples.


I had read the recipe reviews on Martha Stewart's website before making this. They seemed to agree that the dish was bland. I didn't want to wildly change the recipe, but I thought I would probably need something salty. So I made sausage links to go along with it.


The thing I was most worried about was getting the eggs out of the skillet. I used probably more butter than was called for, and made sure to get butter as far up the sides of the pan as possible.


Then I hoped.


My dinner companions were there by the time the frittata was finished cooking. I used a plastic spatula to bring the side of the frittata away from the side of the skillet. Then I shook the skillet back and forth.


The whole frittata moved.


Would I really be able to pull this off?


I gently kept moving the skillet while turning it to the side so the frittat could hopefully slide on to the waiting serving dish.

It came out. In one piece. Bending instead of breaking.


How mine looked.

I was so super excited, I might have been a little ridiculous. And then I was handed my mimosa-plus, and we toasted! Because that's how we roll.

The frittata was a little bland, but my friends really liked it. I'm just really glad to have learned a new method of convey breakfast ingredients to a plate. Didn't think ahead to do a breakfast casserole? Don't want the effort of an omlette? No problem -- make a frittata.

Conclusion: Use more salt. Try other fillings. Always add more cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment