Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lemon puppy chow

I knew I wanted to make a dessert for when my man came to dinner the other night, but I really, really didn't want to do anything super complicated.


Because, you know, sometimes you're just lazy.


So I decided to make lemon puppy chow because I the only ingredients I needed to buy were a lemon and the baking chips.


I don't have time to make my food shots look that pretty.
Let me tell you about those white baking chips.


Whenever I see white chips, I think white chocolate. I had never heard of them being vanilla flavored. So I'm thinking, what the heck is the difference. Well, I was looking at the bags of white chips at my preferred grocery store. They had all three different brands, Tollhouse, Ghirardelli and Hershey's. Where I got confused was that only the Hershey's bag said it was vanilla flavored. The other two just read, "Premier White." Well, what the heck flavor is "white"?! Onion?


I bought the Hershey's, since the other two were vague.



Now, I started by doing some subtraction. I really don't need nine cups of any sort of sweet snack, even if I'm sharing.

I then proceeded to fail at subtraction and put the full amount of butter in a bowl. Luckily, I realized this before I put any other ingredients in the bowl, so I just cut the butter in half and took out one of the pieces.



I bought a fresh lemon to get lemon zest. Which meant I got to use my microplane. Best. Culinary purchase. To date. Seriously. What a great (or grate?) invention, I can't believe I ever used just a box grater.


I eyeballed the lemon juice. Not a good idea, but too late to take it back now.


Mmm...tasty. And I love those little bowls, great serving size.
The mix turned out pretty good. You could tell I used too much liquid because the Chex took on sort of a stale texture. But they were really lemony and delicious.


Conclusion: Don't eyeball the lemon juice. Give a microplane to anyone who registers for one. Definitely one to make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment