Saturday, May 19, 2012

Scrumptious Candy Apple Dip

I volunteer with a group called Saints Helping Saints. We are Seton High School alumnae helping other Seton High School alumnae however we can.


For the second time, we had a wine tasting and art autcion funraiser in May.


Last year, we had a bunch of food donated. This year, we had less food donated, and we volunteers picked up the slack.


So of course I made something bloggable. Why not?


I was told we could probably use a fruit tray. But fruit trays are expensive! I had just gone through my behemoth, and I remembered a dip for apples that sounded really good.


I have no idea from what book I copied this recipe. And I can't seem to find it easily online anywhere, so here it is:


Scrumptious Candy Apple Dip
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2-1/3 cup toffee bits


Directions: Mix together with hand mixer. Chill. Serve with apple slices or assorted fruit. 
Yields 12-15 servings.


I quadrupled the recipe. Yes, we expected that many people.


And I would like to take issue right here with their estimated yield. We used about half of my container that night. Well, we might have used the whole half, I know that I only took home half a huge tupperware full. I then served it for dessert one night. And then used it at our family Mother's Day gathering as an appetizer. And I still threw a mess of it away. How big is their serving size?!


Anyway. 


I measured everything but the toffee bits. Those I added some, mixed everything up, then added some more.


I really like toffee.


The hand mixer was having a really tough time getting through all that cream cheese. I think I need a new mixer. Or should have let the cheese soften longer. Or should have used a bigger bowl...which I don't own. Either way, just be aware that these ingredients don't mix together easily.


I did the best I could with the hand mixer then got in there with a wooden spoon/turner thing. Similar to this, but curved around the edge. I have no idea where Mom got it.


I put a note on the label saying the dark bits were toffee,
not nuts.I didn't want people to wonder in case
there were nut allergies in the room.


Anyway, I sent the apples and dip out on the white wine side of the room. My Brother the Chef gave me grief for the apples turning brown, but the dip really was tasty. Another volunteer asked me for the recipe. 


I was also well liked when I served it for dessert and as an appetizer at Mother's Day.


Conclusion: This dip keeps well over at least a week. It might be better in the fall when apple dishes abound, but no on gave me grief on my timing. This is definitely something to make again, and easily transported to a party. Speaking of parties, something I do when I have an apple dip dish is put out my apple slicer, a basket of apples and a cutting board. Allowing people to cut their own apples ensures they don't turn brown (without the use of lemon juice).



No comments:

Post a Comment