Friday, May 18, 2012

Churro Chex Mix

To go along with my slow cooker shredded beef tacos, I wanted to make a dessert. How perfect to go with Mexican dinner, a Mexican dessert?

Well, kinda.

Churros are Mexican. Or at least Hispanic, since I definitely ate one in Spain. Churro Check mix, not so much.

But I'll fake it.

Looks pretty, right?
I bought the cinnamon chips required by the recipe. The only kind I could find at bigg's was Hershey's, so that's what I went with.

I left them out on the counter so I would remember to make the chex mix. Sometimes my brain malfunctions and I forget things like dessert.

Well, my brain malfunctioned a different way this time.

I always make sure to put the electrical component of my crock pot on the counter the night before so I see it in the morning and remember to take the ceramic part out of the fridge to cook.

I'm usually very good at remembering the clear the area around the slow cooker so nothing melts or catches fire.

Not so much this time.

I got home checked the meat, and then started gathering the ingredients for the churro Chex mix.

That's when I realized the bag of cinnamon chips had been sitting right behind the slow cooker all day.

It was nearly completely melted.

The chips, not the bag. That would have been a hot mess if the bag had melted, too.

I was about the chuck the whole idea. I actually put the bag of melted chips in the garbage can.

Then I took it back out. I realized that while I certainly couldn't keep the melted chips, they were going to be melted for this recipe anyway. So I measured out what an approximation of the melted mess and threw the rest away. (Oh, I cut this Chex mix recipe in half, just like the lemon one.) I hate throwing food away, but how could I have used it?

I measured what would be the wet ingredients and melted them like I was supposed to. I stirred the melted part in with the Chex like I was supposed to. I measured the powdered sugar and sprinkled it over the top and stirred like I was supposed to.

Yummy.
I didn't measure the granulated sugar or cinnamon.

Oops.

No, mostly I didn't bother to measure because I already had a container of cinnamon sugar (from the Nutella ravioli) that I wanted to use up. I dumped that whole thing on, stirred and then I added a little more cinnamon.

It was definitely sweeter than the lemon batch. It was good. It tasted like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I like that cereal, but I don't feel the need to make this mix again. I'll just go buy cereal with the $4 that could buy the cinnamon chips.


Conclusion: Another recipe checked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment