Sunday, August 26, 2012

Queso Blanco Dip

My friends and I love us some cheese.

Seriously.

We were introduced to cheese fondue, and it all went down hill from there.

I think after fondue (complete with the fondue pot, although ours aren't '70s-tastic), our favorite melty cheese dish is queso blanco dip. If a Mexican restaurant has it, we want to try it.

I've tried to make it before, although I didn't blog about it. Probably because the recipe came off a Velveeta box.

Either way, I found this recipe for queso blanco dip, so I knew I had to try it.

(Side note. Queso means cheese. So saying "queso cheese dip" is an redundant as "9 a.m. in the morning " or "frozen ice" or, more timely, "forcible rape". It really bothers me.)

So I went to the deli counter to find the white American cheese since  the recipe said most deli counters have that. I didn't see it, but I asked. They did, she just needed to get the block from the back. I think I confused the poor woman when I said I just wanted a big block. I don't think they have actual knives behind that counter. But when I told her it could be multiple blacks if that helped, she calmed down. And managed to get the weight right on the nose.

The only substitution I made was that I used 2 percent milk instead of the recommended whole milk. I knew that might change the consistency since whole milk has such a higher fat content, but I was not about to buy special milk for this. I don't drink much milk period, and any leftover whole milk would have just been thrown away.

I don't remember how long I put it in the microwave. I kept putting it is for a minute and a time, then stirring. But the time the big glob of cheese was mostly melted, it was pretty runny, like the recipe said it would be. I apologized to my friends, who really didn't mind. Turns out, they like it a little runny so it can coat the whole chip without being too much cheese.

Not the best picture, but seriously yum.

So we ate. And it was tasty! Definitely better than whatever I made with Velveeta. And I will definitely make it again, and continue not bothering to decrease the recipe amount.

Because it reheats wonderfully.

Seriously! I ate chips and queso for a week. It was delicious. I'm considering making it and using it for a taco night.

No comments:

Post a Comment