Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Brownie batter dip

Sometimes, I will throw a party just to clean out what I have in my fridge.

That's totally what happened Easter weekend.

I had the girls over and proceeded to put together a cheese ball, a cheese tray and the lemon cake leftover from Wednesday dinner.

I also knew I had to make something new for the blog.

So I made brownie batter dip.


My friends will make brownies just to eat the batter, so I figured this would be a hit.

The only thing I needed to buy was cocoa powder. And another thing of cream cheese, but that's a regular item on my grocery list so it was no big deal. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese, not because I'm that concerned with being healthy, but because the regular and the 1/3 less fat taste similar enough to me that I use them interchangeably. (The same cannot be said for fat free cream cheese. That stuff is nasty.)

I let the butter and cream cheese warm up while I worked on a cheese ball and a coffee cake for Easter. And even after sitting on the counter for a good 45 minutes, they were hard to blend. It might be because I need a new harn mixer, but it's probably because mixing butter and cream cheese is a crime against caloric intact and the mixture was rebeling.

What it's supposed to look like.
Once I added all that sugar, though, the mixing went easier. Go figure. Guess it was a caloric rebellion.

I finally got everything together. Although the picture shows the dip being garnished with mini chocolate chips, I went with white chips for the contract. And because I bought the bag but rarely bake with them.


Not bad looking...
I couldn't decide what would go best to dip in said dish, so I asked a friend to bring graham crackers. Kind of perfect.

Everyone tried it. Everyone liked it. I still have half the bowl left, though, because it's pretty rich. I, however, do not think it tasted like brownie batter. I think it tastes like really rich icing. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like icing. Eating it with a graham cracker actually reminds me of childhood and I can't figure out why. Is this what Dunkaroos tasted like? Or I vaguely remember mom making us snacks of graham crackers with leftover icing. That's probably the one.

Conclusion: Cut the recipe in half or invite more people. Call it something other than brownie batter dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment