Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole

This recipe is also known as Proof My Slow Cooker Runs Hot.

I was having the girls over for dinner, and I like to use my crock pot on those nights since it makes everything so much easier when I get home from work. So I decided to go with breakfast and make this egg, sausage, potato casserole.

Yum, right?
I cut the recipe in half because it claims to yield 12 servings, and there were only going to be four of us.

I prepped everything the night before. I put everything in the crock pot except the eggs, which I beat up and put in a separate container, covered in Press'n Seal, which I think it just fantastic. It sticks to metal and plastic bowls so much better than plastic wrap.

Anyway, I get up in the morning, pout the eggs over the other ingredients, turn the crock pot on low, and go to work.

I come home to burnt eggs.

I'm so not kidding, I walk in the door and can smell something burnt.

I go over to the kitchen and before I even lift the lid, I can see the blackened bits. I turn the crockpot off (I figure I can turn it to warm in 45 min when my friends' arrival is imminent). I take off the lid and the whole casserole is pulling away from the sides of the dish, half of it's obviously burnt. The other half looks almost salvagable.

Well, this is what I'm serving, I though, better make more biscuits.

I also figured the eggs were probably dry, so I put a bunch of egg-appropriate condiments on the table (think salsa, hot sauce, etc.).

We tried it. My friends ate it but agreed it was not my most successful dish ever.

They ate more biscuits.

I think I also busted out a block of cheese, cottage cheese and pretzels. It really was not filling.

Even if I hadn't burnt it, though, I don't know that I would have liked it. I had forgotten that I'm not the biggest fan of potatoes in egg casseroles. I prefer bread. Maybe I can find a egg-sausage-bread crock pot casserole?

____________________________________________________

Published without my pictures because they were pretty bad anyway. Seriously. The food did not look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment